Those who know her would agree that the best word to describe Natalie is PASSIONATE.
Transplanted in Portland five years ago, Natalie hails from New York City where she was one of the most coveted trainers and running coaches. Her enthusiasm is fueled by her desire to make fitness an enjoyable part of her clients’ daily routines. A marathoner and cyclist, her best running efforts are in shorter distances where she has placed in her age group in races. Over the last several years she has switched gears to rock and alpine climbing, and is devouring all that the Pacific Northwest has to offer.
She apprenticed as Head Assistant Coach for The Running Center, NYC’s only facility for runners, and worked as Associate Trainer for the American Museum of Natural History’s winter fitness walking program. Natalie previously worked as a Personal Trainer for Focus Integrated Fitness, and on the weekends she guided for Discover Outdoors’ many adventure trips out of NYC.
In addition to training, she is excited to work as Director of Marketing for Alta Planning + Design, the country’s leading bicycle, pedestrian and trail planning and design firm, collaborating with Alta Bicycle Share, which is operating bike share systems in New York City, Boston, Washington, DC, Chicago, Seattle, and the Bay Area. The position complements her mission to educate people about the ease of a healthy daily routine built upon small choices that add up to big benefits.
Natalie speaks Japanese, volunteers as an OSU Master Gardener, and eats rocks for breakfast. She believes that anything can be accomplished if you have enough guts to work for it.
- Sports Conditioning. Specialized strength, power, agility and core training.
- Personalized Running Schedules. For distances from 5K to the Marathon.
- Special Populations. For those under a doctor’s care or just finished with physical therapy.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS), the upper echelon of specialized certifications in the country
- In progress, American Academy of Health, Fitness & Rehab Professionals, Medical Exercise Specialist (MES)
- American Council on Exercise, Certified Personal Trainer (ACE)
- USA Track & Field, Level 1 Coach (USATF)
- Evidence Based Fitness Academy, Certified Barefoot Training Specialist
- Wilderness First Responder (SOLO and NOLS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider (CPR/AED, American Heart Association)
ACHIEVEMENTS & SPECIALIZED TRAINING
- Read Natalie’s ideas for sneaking in fitness in the 2014 Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield newsletter
- See Natalie’s tips for ‘cheapskate’ fitness in the 2014 Portland Mercury
- See Natalie’s tips for winter fitness in betterforyou.com
- Read Natalie’s article about training journals in the January 2013 Mazama Bulletin
- Read Natalie’s article about mountaineering training in the June 2012 Mazama Bulletin
- See Natalie in Portland’s Neighborhood Notes
- See Natalie interviewed by Matt Fitzgerald in Experience Life Magazine
- See Natalie’s reviews on Yelp
- See Natalie in The Martha’s Vineyard Times
- Graduate of the East Coast Instructor Training School (ECITS), a fitness trainer program, licensed by the NYS Education Department
- Graduate of the Mazamas Intermediate Climbing School (ICS) and Basic Climbing Education Program (BCEP)
- Interviewed by the Columbia University School of Journalism for a radio documentary on Long Distance Running
- Various corporate seminars and workshops on fitness and lifestyle
- Speaker and Guest Coach at the First Annual Indoor Triathlon program at the JCC
- Professional Affiliations: New York Road Runners; USA Track & Field; National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA); New York Cycling Club
- Continued education and advanced certifications through the Swedish Institute College of Health Sciences; American Academy of Health, Fitness and Rehab Professionals; Town Sports International; New York Road Runners.